MARINE TRANSPORT MANAGEMENT IS BEING IMPROVED
The President of the Republic of Azerbaijan signed a Decree dated October 11, 2021 on some measures to improve governance in the field of maritime transport.
According to the decree below decision has been adopted for the following purposes: :
• improvement of control mechanisms
• optimization of the work carried out in the direction of state regulation of activities in the seaports of the Republic of Azerbaijan
• formation of a competitive maritime transport sector:
Establishment of a public legal entity "State Maritime and Port Agency" under the Ministry of Digital Development and Transport (hereinafter - the Ministry).on the basis of the State Maritime Agency under the Ministry of Transport, Communications and High Technologies of the Republic of Azerbaijan, as well as the Centre for Maritime Safety under the State Maritime Agency under the Ministry of Transport, Communications and High Technologies of the Republic of Azerbaijan, as well as the Department of Transport and Maintenance public legal entities is envisaged. .
The Charter of the State Maritime and Port Agency has been approved. State Maritime and Port Agency (hereinafter - the Agency) public legal entity is responsible for the following in the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan:
1. formation of state policy in the field of maritime transport;
2. participating in its implementation and development;
3. carrying out regulation and control in this area;
4. safety of sea swimming;
5. protection of human life and health at sea;
6. protection of the marine environment;
7. taking measures in the field of training of sailors;
8. participating in the state regulation of activities in seaports;
9. performing safety services (navigation and lighthouse , guidance, chanel, anchor and ship assembly).
The Agency is the legal successor of the above-mentioned institutions in Part 1 of this Decree, their rights and obligations, as well as property will be transferred to the Agency. A Management Board consisting of 4 (four) members - the Chairman and his 3 (three) deputies will be established to exercise general management and control over the activities of the Agency.